Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sauteed Crickets

I love to try weird and crazy foods, but unfortunately they are a bit hard to come by.  So I have decided to start making them myself.  My first venture into bizarre foods at home was sauteed crickets.  I'll be honest, I did a little bit of research on line and took notes while watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.  (Best show ever.)  I found that you can purchase crickets at your local pet food store, sounds easy enough.


From what I read on the internet I learned that you should give your crickets a few days to eat leafy herbs and things, to clear out their system of any nonsense. 

www.insectsarefood.com

Well, if you know me, you know I am severly impatient.  So I decided my crickets didn't need any extra food. My first step was to boil them for a minute, oh and don't forget to freeze them before hand so they don't jump all over the kitchen.   After that I got my chili and garlic ready.


At this point I just sauteed everything together until the chili and garlic was cooked.  I was way to scared to try a cricket by itself, so I put the mixture on a piece of bread.
It took me a few minutes to build up the courage to eat the crickets, I mean it's antenna was just pointing at me.  But, I made myself do it.  They wern't to bad, slightly nutty and very crunchy.  FYI the legs and wings do get stuck in your teeth.  After eating a few they did not seem so bad, until the next day.  Uhhh, lets just say my stomach was not to happy the next day.  Either I ate to many crickets, or I really should have taken the time to feed them some leafy plants. 

Oh well, It was a fun adventure and it only cost three bucks.

2 comments:

  1. Great first project for your bizarre foods journey! I can't wait for the next installment!

    -Korrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm patiently awaiting your next bizarre food as well! I think we could all use a little extra crunch on our bread. I came across an article on how to raise your own crickets on wikihow, this could save you the three dollars. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete